Restoration Of The Main Copper Dome And Other Roof AreasIn 2010, Think City Sdn. Bhd. (a subsidiary company wholly owned by Khazanah Nasional Berhad), under its George Town Grants Programme, had a approved a fund to ensure that the main dome and the rest of the roof areas are fully functional in protecting the mosque interior and the building users from rain. Key objectives of the restoration works are:
- To look into proper repair work method in refurbishing the main dome roof cladding comprising of timber boarding, bituminous paper underlay and the copper sheeting on the exterior.
- To replace damaged clay roof tiles and tiles with differing profiles from previous ad-hoc repair works.
- To provide safe and easy access to roof areas to ensure building maintenance can be performed regularly and effectively.
Brief History Of Masjid Kapitan Keling
Acknowledged as a nationally significant cultural heritage building and site which contributes substantially to built heritage and living cultural values of the George Town.
The mosque was gazetted on 2 December 1982 under Akta Benda Purba (Antiquites Act), 1976 (Akta 168) which was later replaced by Akta Warisan Kebangsaan Nasional (National Heritage Act) 2005.
The mosque was built in several stages from 1802 to the 1920’s. It was originally built on an 18-acre site, a land granted to the Indian Muslim community in 1801 by the then Lieutenant Governor of Penang, Sir George Leith.
Over recent years, several initiatives to conserve the building’s fabric have been successful. However, maintenance aspect of the mosque was not properly taken care of. The main copper dome, in particular and the terracotta tile roof areas were in dire state for repair.